Meet Our Team
Dr. Curby Dwaine Sydney a native of St. Lucia, earned his medical degree at the Instituto Superior de Ciencias Medicas (Superior Institute of Medical Sciences) Camaguey, Cuba, with academic distinction. He went on to participate in a Neurosurgery and Neuroradiology Observership at Taipei Medical University – Wanfang Hospital, Taiwan in 2007. In 2013, Dr. Sydney successfully completed his rigorous residency training in Neurosurgery with academic distinction at the prestigious General Calixto Garcia University Hospital, Havana, Cuba. His graduate dissertation and Board Examinations were completed at the National Institute of Neurology and Neurosurgery, Cuba.
- Medical Director – CANA Neuro Services, Tapion, St. Lucia – Presently
- Chief Consultant Neurosurgeon – CANA Neuro Services, Tapion, St. Lucia – Presently
- Consultant Neurosurgeon (Private Privileges) – Victoria Hospital, St. Lucia. June 2017 – Present
- Consultant Neurosurgeon (Private Privileges) – Tapion Hospital, St. Lucia. September 2014 - Present
- Consultant Neurosurgeon - St. Jude Hospital, Vieux Fort, St. Lucia. May 2014 – May 2017
- Associate Professor for Neuroanatomy and Introduction to Clinical Medicine (ICM) – Neurology - Spartan Health Sciences University, Vieux Fort, St. Lucia. September 2014 – December 2016
- District Medical Officer (DMO) – Ministry of Health, St. Lucia. 2008 – 2009
- Senior House Officer (SHO) – Accident & Emergency Department, Victoria Hospital. 2006-2007
- Medical Internship (2nd Year) – Victoria Hospital, 2005 - 2006 Medical Internship (1st Year) – Superior Institute of Medical Sciences, Camaguey, Cuba. 2004 -2005
- Chilean Journal of Neurosurgery (2014) - A case of a 4 month old patient with a Left Frontal Brain Abscess.
- Research Dissertation, (2013) - Surgical Timing in Traumatic Lesions of the Subaxial Cervical Spine
- Research Presentation, Second Author, (2012) - Trigeminal Neuralgia
- Research Paper, Second Author, (2012) - Thoracic Outlet Syndrome
- Research Paper, Third Author, (2012) - Management of Traumatic Lesions of the Craniocervical Junction
- Research Presentation Science Fair, University Calixto Garcia, Second Author/Presenter (2012) - Neurophysiologic Monitoring in Lumbar-Sacral Spine Entities
- Research Presentation International Congress on Spine Surgery, Second Author, (2009) - Stabilization of Traumatic Spine Lesions
- Member of the Cuban Society of Neurosurgeons (Spine Chapter)
- Member of AOspine International
- Member of World Federation of Neurological Surgeons
- Member of American Heart Association
- Member of Medical & Dental Association of St. Lucia
- Member of The Medical & Dental Council of St. Lucia
Training & Continuing Medical Education:
- AOspine Advanced Level Specimen Course (Hands on – Minimally Invasive Surgery; Palm Beach, USA.(February, 2017)
- AOspine Principles Webinar – Management of Lumbar Spinal Stenosis, Dubendorf, Switzerland (September, 2016)
- AOspine Webcast ‘Meet the Experts’ – Biomaterials and Spinal Fusion, Davos, Switzerland (December 2015)
- Hospital Safety & Quality Management Course; Changhua Christian Hospital, Taiwan, ROC. (September 2015)
- Neurosurgery Training – Neurosurgery Department, Changhua Christian Hospital, Taiwan. ROC. (2015)
- AOspine Neurotrauma Course (Theory & Practical); Cartagena, Columbia. (2015)
- Observership in Neurosurgery & Neuroradiology, Taipei Medical University – Wang Fang Hospital, Taiwan, ROC. (2008)
Professor Esteban Roig Fabre is a distinguished and highly acclaimed Cuban Neurosurgeon. He has etched his mark of invaluable service in various countries – such as Cuba, Angola, Vietnam, Namibia, Latin America and the Caribbean. He has also trained over 100 neurosurgeons from around the world.
Professor Roig’s educational portfolio comprise of obtaining his Medical Degree in 1974, his Specialist First Degree in Neurosurgery in 1980, and his Specialist Second Degree in Neurosurgery in 1990. These years of training are a testament to the wealth of knowledge, experience and expertise he brings to St. Lucia. In 2010, Professor Roig went on to obtaining his Doctoral Degree in Neurosurgery (PhD), a monumental achievement. He is also a Titular Professor of Neurosurgery.
Time would not permit us to present the extensive repertoire of Professor Roig’s professional career. However, some very notable accomplishments are:
- Former head of the Provincial Council of Neurosurgery, Cuba
- Former head of the Department of Neurosurgery at General Calixto Garcia Medical University, Havana, Cuba from 1997 - 2016
- Head of Medical Missions in Namibia, Africa (1991-1994)
- Participant of Medical Missions of Angola (1977-1979)
- President of the Chapter of Spine Surgery – Cuban Society of Neurology and Neurosurgery (2009-2012)
- President of the Jury Appraiser of Scientific/Research Publication (1999)
- Vice President of International Congress of Spine Surgery – NeuroRaquis (2009)
- Senior Professor and Coordinator of Neuro Courses (2009 – 2010)
- President of the Board of Minimum Exam of Specialty of Neurosurgery
- President of State Examining Boards of Neurosurgery (May 2015, May-June 2016)
Professor Roig has been affiliated with or a member of numerous organizations and committees, such as:
- Member of State National Boards of Neurosurgery
- Member of National Council of Neurosurgery
- Member of the Cuban Society of Neurology & Neurosurgery since 1983
- Member of SILAC since 2000
- Member of AMECA, since 2002
- Member of the Latin American Federation of Neurosurgeons, since 2007
- Secretary of State National Boards April – May 1997
- Member of PhD Examining Boards of Neurosurgery – Grand Calixto Garcia Iniquez Medicine Faculty (2014 – 2016)
Professor Roig has contributed tremendously to the knowledge and practice of Neurosurgery, by authoring
many scholarly books and articles.
- Nodular Laryngitis. Journal April 16, Vol 12, 44 March-April 1973.
- Cervical Arthrodesis. Magazine of Scientific Summaries.1984.
- Skull-Injury due to Firearm and shrapnels. Magazine of Scientific Summaries 1984.
- Arthrodesis in the Lower Cervical Spine, Magazine of Scientific Summaries 1984.
- Radiological Aspects in Cervical Spine Injuries. Magazine of Scientific Summaries 1984.
- Skull Injuries. First Medical Care for Surgeons, General Practitioners and Anesthetists. Cuban Journal of Surgery. Vol 36. No. 3.Sep-Dec 1997.pp.172-177.
- Malformation of Odontoid in Cervical Spine Trauma. Report of 1 case. Cuban Journal of Surgery 34 (1) 2001.
- Hangman’s Fracture. Historical Aspects. Rev. Cub. Cir.: 2002; 41 (1) 5-10.
- Hangman’s Fracture. Rev. Cub. Cir. 2003; 43 (1).
- The Plain X Rays in Micro compression of the Ganglion of Gasser. An Alternative and economic Method. Cuban Journal of Surgery, Vol 42, no 1: 2003.
- Upper Cervical Spine Injuries. Cuban Journal of Surgery, Vol42 2003; 42 (2).
- Transcranial Electrical Stimulation in Trans surgical Monitoring. Presentation of a case.(CB01 /11). Accepted for Publication CENIC of Biological Sciences It Has. Joint author. April 2011
- Traumatic Injuries of Craniospinal Junction. Book, Publicia Editorial. Germany, ISBN:978 -3-639-55261 -4. 2013.
- Outcome in Brain Tumors Surgery after one month. Coauthor. Cuban Journal of Surgery,Vol. 53, núm. 3 (2014): July-September
Professor Roig has also served on the Neurosurgery PhD Dissertation Academic Defense Board from 2011 – 2016, as one of the Examining Professors. He also sat on the Admissions Board that determined which candidates met the criteria for entry into the Neurosurgery PhD program.
Currently Professor Roig holds the position of Consultant Neurosurgeon at Cana Neuro Services, St. Lucia. His extensive portfolio, monumental accomplishments, and wealth of knowledge and expertise all contribute to the development of Neurosurgery in St. Lucia, a blessing and benefit that is invaluable to the our healthcare system.